Monday, January 14, 2008

First Entry Letter

My name is Chris Ferrante and I am a freshman at Texas Christian University this year. I am from Houston, Texas and I am majoring in Business (not sure what type), and hopefully I can find the time to Minor in Psychology. I am into all sports, especially rugby and I play for number of teams including the TCU Rugby Team, and also the the USA U19 National Team. I have had the privilege to play overseas in England representing the US, and also outside the country in Canada.
I am interested in taking this course because I do enjoy to write, and I also like to see what other people thing of my writing. The majority of the writing I do now is probably things such as emails, text messages and conversations of instant messenger. I have always liked writing made up stories or something that takes a little bit of creativity to write. I'm usually not of fan of writing about something that has a ton of facts to it, and that you feel like you absolutely need to cover everything. Another thing I highly dislike is trying to interpret poems, or novels because sometimes it is very difficult to see eye to eye with authors or poets. Early in high school I had an awesome English teacher for two years and she helped me a ton with my writing skills. When I first start to develop ideas on major essays, I tend to make a list or an outline over things such as a thesis statement, main points, and closing paragraphs and then gradually put them into paragraphs and attempt to make them flow. When I writing things like facebook messages, emails, or text messages I usually just write what i think in no particular order. I think writing is important in our lives because it allows us to express what we feel, and to learn what other people think and feel.
Overall I think my writing is pretty good, but could definitely use some major improvements. Along with creative writing, I like to write about sports, or anything else that I am pretty knowledgeable about. I usually have difficulty developing and essay and making it flow with the rest of the essay. I can get my ideas down and plan it out, but usually have trouble with writing them out into paragraph form. I would like to improve on closing out my essays strong, and making them all flow , so that all the thoughts and ideas fall together in the end. I have read, understand, and agree to the terms of the course syllabus, which I see as a contract for our course.

1 comment:

April Patrick said...

I'm glad to hear that you already find some writing enjoyable. Hopefully, with the ability to choose topics that interest you on all of your essays this semester, you'll find some enjoyment in some more factual forms of writing. And fortunately, you don't have to do any poetry or novel analysis in this course. :) I'm looking forward to having you in class this semester. See you in class!