Sunday, January 27, 2008

essay topic

For my topic i picked something that i am familiar with but still have many questions about, athletics.I want to  explore athletics and show that they can take many places in the world, and even lead you to learn many valuable lessons. I used the techniques that Balangeer suggest in order to come up with my topic, I wrote different ideas out, different memories and then narrowed them down. I still want to find out  the different places athletics can take you and how they can teach us valuable lessons. Overall i feel that this topic should be good, because athletics are a big part in many peoples lives. Personally, things such as rugby and football have taken me places, and taught me things in a different perspective. 

3 comments:

Kristen H. said...

Chris,
Sounds to me like your topic of athletics is going to be a great start for you because you have such an interest in it. I am sure your writing is just going to flow freely because you have many experiences to write about, such as traveling and the life lessons you have learned through athletics, maybe like hard work and dedication. In class today, you expressed that Rugby and Football are the sports you will be writing about. Are there qualities or lessons in comparing these two sports to another that are different? Similar? What makes these sports different or similar to other sports? I would also love to read about the experiences you have had traveling for these sports. Does culture have an effect on the sport or the lessons you have learned, or do you believe there is more a universal theme? Maybe you could clarify how you came to where you are in sports today- maybe what first set off your passion for these hobbies. Sounds to me you have some great ideas and questions. Keep it up, you’re doing a great job!
See you in class on Wednesday.
Your classmate,
Kristen

Aaron L. said...

Hey Chris,
Your topic definitely sounds good. From your explanation today it sounded like you have had many experiences to use for your paper. The overseas Rugby experience really intrigued me and I think it will work perfectly in your essay. I think you should go into depth on how sports became such a big part of your life. Reflect on those times that gave you that passion.

-Aaron

April Patrick said...

This sounds like a great general topic, though I think it'll help if you narrow it down to a more concrete experience. For example, was there a moment when you realized (maybe on a trip) the potential sports had brought into your life? Talking about athletics and opportunities overall will likely be overwhelming to try to cover in 5-7 pp. Looking forward to reading your draft on Friday!