Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Writers Role

After look over all my collections on writings from the previous week, I have figured out that a play many different roles when it comes to writing. My first role I came across was the role of an organized person to myself. I had many paper in the stack with check lists, and due dates for certain homework’s and projects. I made sure I knew when are where I had to turn in all my assignments, or where I needed to be that day. Next, my role as an athlete. I write down my schedules for practice and workout, and make sure that everything is neat, and is in order so I don’t get my dates, times, and numbers jumbled up. My role when I talk to friends is a bit different than my previous two. Usually this over text message or facebook and I tend to use a lot more slang things like "I dunno" or "thats frat", and very casual language that doesn’t make any sense at all, and usually is about stuff we have done, or when we are going to hang out again, nothing too serious. My role as a son is not proper at all, we are an italian family and I’m sure everyone has seen the sopranos. We use a lot of slang, but it tends to be more casual and we talk about a lot of different things, no particular order and it is usually over the phone or in emails, occasionally over instant messenger. My role as a friend to girls is different than it would be to my friends. I talk a little bit different maybe, maybe a little less slang and joking around that I would use with my other friends. My role as a student varies from class to class. If it’s a math class, I tend to write very few notes and mostly its just scribble with numbers all over the page. However if it is a pre 1877 history class in which that teacher gives 5 pages of notes a day, I usually write every word that comes out of their mouth, and make sure that it is neat on my page so I can understand when I go back and attempt to study later. My roles vary greatly throughout the day, and I can easily switch from a student that pays a lot of attention and takes down every note, to a friend that be very casual and use a lot of slang. I think it is important to have different roles in your life, because you sometimes have to act different around different people. I know for a fact if I came up to friends and started to act punctual and proper they would probably look at me as if I was crazy. I think it makes a better writer if you are able to switch from one role, to another in order to grab the reader’s attention, and I also think it allows you to approach different audiences as well, which is one of those most important things to being a good writer.

No comments: